Recording Office


The purpose of the Recording Activity is to provide document recording services to the Gunnison County community so they can have their documents legally recorded in a timely and accurate manner.

Online Records

Gunnison County now offers access to recorded documents online at idoc Market.

Colorado State Statutes

Clerk & Recorder-Duties-Filing Requirements (30-10-406)

  • (3)(a) All documents received for recording or filing in the clerk and recorder’s office shall contain a top margin of at least one inch and a left, right, and bottom margin of at least one-half of an inch. The clerk and recorder may refuse to record or file any document that does not conform to requirements of this paragraph (a).
  • 30-10-101(2.5) (c) The clerk and recorder shall not be required to conduct a search of the real estate records in order to locate any document for copying or for any other purpose. Since federal tax liens (and all other federal liens) are now recorded in the real estate records and are not filed in the UCC records, you are not obligated to search for them.

Colorado Revised Statues As Amended (30-1-1-3)

View fees (PDF) associated with some Colorado State Statutes.

Marriage License Information

Starting January 1, 2021, applications for a marriage license will be by appointment ONLY. Call us at (970) 641-2038 to make an appointment. 


Marriage licenses are done in the Blackstock Government Center. Offices are closed on legal holidays.

The license is valid upon receipt, and must be used within 35 days of issuance in the State of Colorado. The fee is $30. A license need not be purchased in the county where it used, but will be recorded in the county where it is issued. A license issued in another country is not valid in Colorado.

To view the Marriage License Information in Spanish, please click here.

Age Requirements

The requirements for the bride and groom are the same:

  • Ages 18 and older - no parental consent is required.
  • Ages 16 and 17 - consent of both parents or the parent having sole legal custody, guardian or court order is required.
  • Ages 15 and under - consent of parents or guardian and court order required.  NO EXCEPTIONS.

Valid Forms of Identification

Valid identification must be furnished by both parties.

Example: Passport, driver’s license or Military I.D. Non Citizens - call our office at 970-641-2038.

Blood Test

Blood Tests are no longer required for either party.

Same Sex

Same sex marriages are now allowed in the State of Colorado.

Prohibited Marriages

A couple may not marry when one of the parties is still married to another person. Divorces must be final. Marriage between brother and sister, uncle and niece, or aunt and nephew – whether the relationship is by half or whole blood – is PROHIBITED. Marriage between cousins is permitted in Colorado.


Both parties must complete and sign the marriage application form. A couple already married, who wish to renew their marriage vows, or those who have a common law marriage may obtain a license by stating that they are married to each other. Applicants for marriage licenses need not be Colorado residents. Applicants who have divorced will need to know the date, type of court and place where the dissolution took place.


Couples may solemnize their own marriage. Others who can solemnize a marriage are judges, retired judges, magistrates, public officials authorized to perform marriages, or in accordance with any mode of solemnization recognized by a religious denomination or Indian Tribe or Nation. Although the couple may solemnize their own marriage, that does not mean a friend or relative can also solemnize their marriage. Clergy from out of state need not be registered in Colorado.

Marriage Certificate Return

The person solemnizing the marriage shall complete the marriage certificate form and forward it to the County Clerk and Recorder within 63 days after solemnizing. Colorado statutes allow a late fee to be collected by the County Clerk and Recorder if not returned within the 63 days.


Witnesses are not required in the State of Colorado. Some clergy, judges or public officials may request them.

Note: Persons marrying that are not citizens of the U. S., please call our office at 970-641-2038 for information regarding identification.