Forms & Fees
Vehicle Forms and Related Resources
All forms below are maintained by the Colorado Department of Revenue. The list below will reference common forms and their use. To download the most up to date version of a form, visit the CDOR Website here and search by form number (e.g. 2170). For any questions contact the Motor Vehicle Office at (9870) 641-1602.
- Trustees Statement for Certificate of Title - DR 2170: When titling a vehicle in the name of a trust in Colorado, this form must be completed by the trustee(s) and submitted with the title documents.
- Statement of One in the Same - DR 2421: Used when the customer's name that appears on their identification differs from how their name appears on a title.
- Power of Attorney for a Motor Vehicle Only - DR 2175: Used to appoint an individual or entity to act as your attorney-in-fact to apply for an original or duplicate certificate of title, transfer title, or record a lien.
- Persons with Disabilities Parking Privileges Application - DR 2219: Application to receive a license plate or placard for persons with disabilities. See the Persons with Disabilities tab on the Titles & Registration page here.
- Non-Use of Vehicle - DR 2303: Used when a vehicle will not be used on public roads for a period of time (e.g. a project or seasonal motorized vehicle).
- Statement of Fact - DR 2444: Used to provide additional information. A perjury statement is included.
- Bond Statement Guide & In Lieu of Bond Affidavit - DR 2394: The Bond Statement Guide is used in the "Title or Salvage Title Established by Surety Bond" process. It is a detailed statement from the applicant outlining the reason for bonding to establish title. The Older Vehicle in Lieu of Bond is used in the "Title or Salvage Title Established by Surety Bond" when the vehicle is over 25 years of age. Bill of Sale must be less than 45 days old.
- Application for Title and/or Registration and Joint Tenancy with Rights of Survivorship - DR 2395: Used to apply for new Titles or Registrations for new/used motor vehicle or trailer purchases. The Joint Tenancy with Rights of Survivorship is used for legal co-ownership of property (also known as survivorship). At the death of one co-owner, the surviving co-owner becomes sole owner of the property. Transfer of Ownership requires a copy of a death certificate and signature of survivor.
- Duplicate Title/Lien Request and Receipt - DR 2539A: Used to obtain a duplicate title from the Colorado Motor Vehicle Division. Must be submitted along with payment.
- Verification of Vehicle Identification Number - DR 2698: Used to verify a vehicle VIN is correct and unaltered. Must be submitted at time of new registration.
- Affidavit for Collection of Personal Property Pursuant to Small Estate Proceeding - DR 2712
- Supplemental Secure and Verifiable Information and Attestation Clause - DR 2842: Used to obtain required secure and verifiable identification from the purchaser of a vehicle for the purpose of obtaining a title and registration. This form is attached to other required title or registration documents when applying for a title or registration.
All forms below are maintained by the Colorado Department of Revenue unless otherwise stated. If a form link below does not work, you can locate all forms on the CDOR Website here and search by form number (e.g. 2170).
- Title of Salvage Title Established by a Surety Bond - DR 2922 (PDF): A checklist of steps when required documents are not available or are incorrect to obtain a motor vehicle title in Colorado.
- Requester Release and Affidavit of Intended Use - DR 2489A (PDF): Used in conjunction with DR 2539 (above) to request a record search or title history of a motor vehicle.
- Bond Statement Guide & In Lieu of Bond Affidavit / Statement of Fact - DR 2394 (PDF): The Bond Statement guide is used in the "Title or Salvage Title Established by Surety Bond" process. It is a detailed statement from the applicant outlining the reason for bonding to establish title. The In Lieu of Bond Affidavit is used in the "Title or Salvage Title Established by Surety Bond" when the vehicle is over 25 years of age. Bill of sale must be less than 45 days old. The Statement of Fact is used to provide additional information. A perjury statement is included.
Mechanic and Storage Bonding Packets
- Title or Salvage Established by Mechanics and Storage Lien - DR 2711 (PDF): A checklist of steps when a vehicle has been left for service or storage and there has been no contact with the person who left the vehicle for over thirty (30) days.
- Title Information Request and Receipt - DR 2539 (PDF): Used in conjunction with DR 2489 (below) to obtain a record search, title history, or certification records.
- Requester Release and Affidavit of Intended Use - DR 2489A (PDF): Used in conjunction with DR 2539 to request a record search or title history of a motor vehicle.
- Mechanic and Storage Lien Bond Statement Guide - DR 2438 (PDF): Used when applying for a title ro salvage title established through the mechanic and storage lien process.
Either bonding packet will require a Colorado Certified VIN Inspection (DR 2704) form, available through the Colorado State Patrol (970-249-9575), plus a retail appraisal for bond title which can be done through any Colorado licenses automotive dealer.
Registration Fees are comprised of both LICENSE FEES and OWNERSHIP TAX.
License Fees: These fees are based upon the age and weight of a vehicle. They can range from fifty (50) to several hundred dollars. The average License Fee for passenger vehicles and light trucks is approximately $125.00.
Ownership Tax: Ownership Tax is based on the age and TAXABLE VALUE of a vehicle. Taxable value is a percentage of the MSRP (Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price) or list price when new. See the percentages in the chart below. Take the Taxable value times the percentage based on the age of the vehicle.
Example: Purchase of a passenger vehicle whose model year is last year. The original list price was $33,580.00. To estimate my fees I take the list price x 85% x 1.5% and then add the license fee (e.g. 33,580 x 85% = 28,543 x 1.5% = $428.15 plus $125.00 = $553.15 total).
|Passenger Vehicle = 85% of MSRP (Sticker Price) | Light Truck = 75% of MSRP (Sticker Price)|
|Year(s) of Service : (Manufacture year is first year of service)|
|1st||2nd||3rd||4th||5th thru 9th|
|2.1% of Tax Value||1.5% of Tax Value||1.2% of Tax Value||0.9% of Tax Value||0.45% of Tax Value|
|10th year and greater: Minimum $3.00 per year|
A named owner must be present with their ID in order to title, register, and obtain a temporary permit. If you cannot be present, you must provide a Colorado notarized Form DR2175 (Power of Attorney for a Motor Vehicle Only) (PDF) form appointing an agent to do your transaction on your behalf. Use the link above to access the form, or view all forms by clicking here.
Business owners must provide a Letter of Authorization stating agents authorized to do transactions on behalf of the business.
Sales / Use Tax Table
Sales tax is due at the time of titling. The tax is based upon your purchase price, sellers address, your legal address at the time of purchase, and whether the vehicle is leased or was delivered.
|Legal Address||Tax Percentage|
|Live in Colorado||2.9%|
|Live in Gunnison County||1.0% *|
|Live in Town of Crested Butte||4.5%|
|Live in City of Gunnison||4.0%|
|Buyer and Seller both in Mt. Crested Butte||5.0%|
|Buyer and Seller both in Marble||4.0%|
|Gunnison RTA Sales Tax||1.0% *|
|* Gunnison County & RTA Tax: Due when buyer and seller are within Gunnison County, and vehicle is leased or delivered.|
Registration Fee Table
|VIN Inspection (Issued by Colorado Law Enforcement or Licensed Colorado Dealership)||$10.00|
Page Size: 8.5" W by up to 14" L
Page Size: Over 8.5" W or over 14" L
$5.00 / printed side
$10.00 / printed side