Floodplain Development

All development within the 100-year floodplain (construction of structures, excavation, filling, stream alteration, fences, etc.) may require a permit from the Community and Economic Development Department. Prior to any work in the floodplain, applications must be submitted to our office. If there are any questions about whether or not a floodplain development permit is needed, contact the Community and Economic Development office at 970-641-0360 or email planning.

To determine if the property is located in a regulatory floodplain by visiting FEMA's National Flood Hazard Layer (NFHL) Viewer, or FEMA's Map Service Center. Additionally, you can visit Gunnison County's Map Viewer to locate your property and apply different layers, including FEMA's regulatory floodplain, to see the hazards that exist at the property. If the property is located in a regulatory floodplain and you would like to develop:


As a member of FEMA's Community Rating System (CRS), Gunnison County agrees to regulate development in the floodplain to standards that exceed the minimum set forth in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). By participating in the CRS, it provides:

  • Lower-cost flood insurance rates
  • Increased opportunities to learn about flood risk
  • Enhances public safety
  • Reduces damages to property and public infrastructures
  • Allows for technical assistance in carrying out some activities at no charge

To review the standards to which Gunnison County regulates development in the floodplain, view Section 11-103: Development in Areas Subject to Flood Hazards (pg. 192) of Gunnison County's Land Use Resolution (PDF).


Regulatory Floodways

If a property is located in a regulatory floodway, a "no-rise" certificate must be provided by a certified engineer, showing that the proposed development will have cause no rise in flood elevations by the proposed development (FEMA guidance here). If you have any questions about developing in a regulatory floodway, contact Community Development at 970-641-0360 or email planning.