How do I transfer Disabled Veteran (D/V) license plates to a newly purchased vehicle?
If the Disabled Veteran license plate was issued by your County Motor Vehicle office please visit that office with one of the following ownership documents:
The Certificate of Title for the new vehicle or
Title complete notice for the new vehicle.
If the Disabled Veteran license plate was issued by the Division of Motor Vehicles, Registration Section as an exempt license plate please submit the following ownership documents.

The Certificate of Title in the name of the disabled veteran for the new vehicle (if applying in person); or
A photocopy of the title for the new vehicle; or
Copy of the DR 2574, computer generated title application for the new vehicle; or
Copy of the registration/title receipt providing the title information has previously been submitted to the State Title Section.
A copy of the current registration for the vehicle for which the D/V plates are being transferred from.
Proof of insurance and Secure and Verifiable Identification Document (SVID) are required. Please do not fax or mail a copy of your SVID. Complete the DR 2842 Supplemental Secure and Verifiable Identification Information and Attestation Clause form.
Proof of emission may be required depending on the county of residence and the vehicles’ year of manufacture.
Documents may be submitted:

In person: By Mail:
Department of Revenue Vehicle Services Unit 1881 Pierce Street Lakewood, CO 80214 Title and Registration Section PO Box 17350 Denver, CO 80217-3350
By Fax (303)205-5978

Show All Answers

1. Is a newly purchased vehicle subject to vehicle registration late fees?
2. How much and when are vehicle registration late fees imposed?
3. Are there exceptions to the vehicle registration late fees?
4. What are the fees to register and title my vehicles?
5. I have a Handicapped Disabled Veteran plate from another State. What do I need to get one in Colorado? Do I have to re-qualify?
6. What information do I need to submit for the no-fee Purple Heart license plate?
7. My spouse who was a military veteran is recently deceased and had been given a no-fee Disabled Veteran license plate. Will I be allowed to keep those?
8. I paid registration fees before I got my free veteran plates. Can I receive a refund of these fees?
9. How do I transfer Disabled Veteran (D/V) license plates to a newly purchased vehicle?
10. How do I register my Low-Power Scooter?
11. Do I need to have a driver's license to drive a Low-Power Scooter?
12. Am I required to have insurance for my Low-Power Scooter?
13. I submitted my application for a personalized license plate. What is the process for this?
14. I have an antique vehicle and would like to use the original plates manufactured in that year. How do I apply?
15. Which Title and Registration transactions require Secure and Verifiable ID?
16. What are the requirements for becoming a resident of Colorado?
17. How do I change my address on my vehicle registration?
18. Can my plates be transferred to my new vehicle?
19. Does The State of Colorado title and register trailers?
20. Are sample Colorado license plates available to license plate collectors or for purchase?
21. How do I register a vehicle from out of state?
22. What do I need to Register my vehicle?
23. How are registration fees calculated?
24. What are Ownership Taxes?
25. Special Mobile Machinery Definitions
26. Items Required to Register SMM
27. Tax Classes Defined
28. Special Mobile Machinery (SMM) 2% Rental Program
29. Additional Information for Special Mobile Machinery (SMM)
30. How do I apply for a duplicate title?
31. What is ELT?
32. How does ELT work?
33. Lien Filing