Public Assistance

How to Apply

To apply for any of the programs listed below you may pick up an application from the Gunnison County Department of Human Services office or you can apply online. For additional questions regarding the programs offered call the Department of Human Services at (970) 641-3244.

Medical Assistance Programs

Children's Health Plan Plus (CHP+)

This is a state medical insurance program for children 18 and under as well as pregnant women 19 and older who don't qualify for medicaid. If you are receiving CHP+ you may have to pay an enrollment fee which is paid directly to the CHP+ office and not though your county. If approved for CHP+ you will have to contact CHP+ directly regarding any questions related to your CHP+ case at (800) 359-1991.


Medicaid provides health insurance to low-income individuals, families, children, and pregnant women once eligibility requirements are met. Persons who are not United States citizens are not eligible for medicaid except in a life or limb threatening medical emergency. Other programs are available to those who do not qualify for medicaid. You must be a Colorado resident if you wish to apply for benefits in Colorado. Begin your application online.

Medicaid Buy-In Programs

Children with Disabilities

This program is a family medical assistance program that will provide medicaid benefits for children that are under age 19 and who have a qualifying disability. Eligible families will receive medicaid benefits for their child with a disability by paying a monthly premium on a sliding scale base on their adjusted income.

Working Adults with Disabilities

This program is an adult medical assistance program that provides medicaid benefits for working individuals with disabilities, ages 16 through 64. Eligible individuals receive medicaid benefits by paying a monthly premium on a sliding scale based on their adjusted income.

Medicare Savings Program

The Medicare Savings Program consist of of three programs that will at a minimum pay the monthly Medicare Part B premium for eligible seniors; it will also pay the higher premium for other reasons such as late enrollment. For those with lower incomes, coverage may also include Medicare Part A and B deductibles, and co-payments. Individuals are also automatically enrolled in the Medicare Part D Extra Help (also known as the Low Income Subsidy) which provides assistance with prescription costs.

*This program may help pay for some medicare co-pays.

Specialized Medical Coverage Programs

Long Term Care

This program helps provide services for those who can no longer perform everyday tasks by themselves due to aging, chronic illness, injury, or a disability.These services help people live as independently and safely as possible. If eligible, several different categories of long term care are available. Long term care can be received in your own home, a nursing home or another long tern care facility, such as an assisted living facility based on eligibility. Applicants must be able to prove citizenship and meet the resource and income limits.

Financial Assistance Programs

Aid to the Needy & Disabled (AND)

Aid to the Needy & Disabled provides cash assistance to low-income Colorado residents, age 18 to 59, who have been, or expect to be, disabled for six months or more and have applied for Supplemental Security Income (SSI). For more information about SSI or to find our how to apply for SSI here. This program also provides financial assistance to Colorado residents under age 59 that meet the definition of blindness.

Colorado Supplement to SSI

Provides an additional cash supplement to eligible persons not receiving the full SSI grant from the Social Security Administration.

Colorado Works TANF

Colorado's Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF) program, also known as Colorado Works, provides financial assistance, job preparation and skills to needy families with children on a temporary basis, to achieve economic and family stability. The amount of financial aid provided is based on family size, income, resources and ages of the children. TANF recipients may receive benefits for no longer than 60 months. During this 60 month time limit, participants are required to participate in work activities.

Food Assistance Program SNAP/ Food Stamps

The purpose of the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program is to alleviate hunger and malnutrition among low-income households by increasing their food purchasing power. Eligible households who apply receive a monthly benefit to supplement their food budget. Households can redeem their allotment for food items by using an Electronic Benefits Transaction (EBT) card, which works similar to a debit or credit card. To find out more about what you can and cannot purchase with SNAP benefits here. For any additional information such as when your food assistance benefits will be deposited onto your EBT card or to find out FAQs.

Old Age Pension (OAP)

Old Age Pension provides medical and financial assistance to low-income Colorado residents who are age 60 and older. They must meet specific eligibility requirements to be eligible for this program. Some OAP recipients may qualify for additional assistance.

*Additionally, applicants must be able to prove citizenship, proof of age, and meet the resource and income limits.

Energy Assistance Programs

Low Income Energy Assistance (LEAP)

The Low-income Energy Assistance Program is designed to pay a portion of your heating bill during the winter season, November 1st topril 30th. Households that qualify will receive an amount based on the cost of the heating bill, the number of people living in the home, and the household income. For more information about this program you may call the 24-hour Heat Help Line at (866)-432-8435. Please come by our office to pick up an application.


Energy Outreach Colorado

Energy Outreach Colorado was established in 1989 as the only non-profit, 201(c)3 in the state that raises funds to help thousands of low-income Coloradans afford home energy and remain warm and safe in their homes. Households that qualify will receive an amount based on the cost of the hearing bill and the number of people living in the home, along with the household income. To apply for EOC, please stop by 220 North Spruce Street or call (970) 641-3244 for further assistance.