For Immediate Release: May 5, 2021
GUNNISON-CRESTED BUTTE REGIONAL AIRPORT TERMINAL GROUNDBREAKING
Project Underway, Completion Scheduled for June 2022
Gunnison County, Colo – On Friday, April 30, 2021, Gunnison County leaders and project representatives celebrated the Gunnison-Crested Butte Regional Airport Terminal Renovation project with a groundbreaking ceremony. “We are thrilled to begin construction on this long-awaited project! The renovated terminal support growing air service to Gunnison County for years to come and will be a beautiful and efficient building the community can be proud of. We are grateful for the support and funding we’ve received from our partners at the FAA and for the strong team we have with our architect, Gensler, and Contractor, Shaw Construction,” said Sustainable Operations Director John Cattles.
A total of $24,000,000 in grant funding is expected to be received for this project: $10,000,000 in Federal Aviation Administration Airport Improvement Project and Discretionary grants, and $14,000,000 in CARES Act funding. The project is projected for completion in June 2022. See below for additional timeline details.
- Project Kickoff: April 5, 2021
- Exterior Sitework: April - November 2021
- Underground utilities and West Parking lot: April – August 2021
- East Parking lot and covered parking: August – October 2021
- Solar Array: November 2021
- Phase 1 Terminal Renovation: April – December 2021
- At the end of this phase most of the terminal will be operational including new a security screening area, new hold rooms, jet-bridges, baggage claim, restrooms, and food/ drink service.
- Phase 2 Terminal Renovation: December 2021- June 2022
- This phase will include completing new escalators to the second-floor hold rooms, some exterior finish work, finish work around ticketing counters, and other finishes inside and outside of the terminal.
- Final Project Completion: June 2022
New Terminal Features:
- Improved passenger flow for intuitive and comfortable experience
- Expanded security screening area
- Food and beverage service and lounge in hold rooms
- Added restroom facilities at hold rooms
- All new equipment including baggage claim and jet-bridges
- High-efficiency building envelope and insulation improvements
- High-efficiency, all-electric, geothermal heating and cooling
- Improved vehicle access road and parking
- Covered parking and expanded parking lot
- Large solar array in partnership with the City of Gunnison and Western Colorado University (849 kW DC)
Shaw Construction (http://www.shawconstruction.net/) is serving as the General Contractor for the project, and Gensler (https://www.gensler.com/) provided architectural services.
For more information, please contact Sustainable Operations Director John Cattles at (970) 641-8562.
Pictured: Sustainable Operations Director John Cattles, County Manager Matthew Birnie, Airport Manager Rick Lamport, County Commissioner Liz Smith, County Commissioner Jonathan Houck and Gunnison Valley Rural Transportation Authority Executive Director Scott Truex ceremoniously break ground for the Terminal Renovation Project.