The On-Site Wastewater Treatment System Regulations (PDF)include standards and requirements for installing an individual sewage disposal system (septic tank / leach field; composting toilet; gray water systems, etc.).
Offline amendments and reformatting of the document are ongoing. Hard copies of the current document are available in the Community Development Department.
These regulations govern all aspects of permits, performance, location, construction, installation, maintenance, alteration, use, and repair of OWTS in Gunnison County except those aspects that are specifically reserved by law solely to the State of Colorado.
Whenever it is uncertain as to whether an OWTS ( formally known as ISDS) should be reviewed under these regulations or state regulations, the more stringent and restrictive applies.
The purpose of these Regulations is to:
- Eliminate or control the causes of diseases and infections
- Protect public health, safety and welfare
- Protect the quality of the environment
- Reduce the pollution of the air, land and water
- Regulate waste from residences, businesses, industrial buildings, and other uses
It is declared to be in the public interest to establish regulations regarding On-Site Wastewater Treatment Systems in Gunnison County, Colorado and to provide the authority for the administration and enforcement of such regulations.