- Public Works
- Solid Waste Management
Solid Waste Management
The purpose of the Solid Waste Management Program is to provide recycling and solid waste disposal services to citizens and visitors so they can experience minimal impacts from solid waste disposal. See below for details for the Landfill and the Recycling Center.
To view current Landfill rates, click here (PDF).
Hours & Holiday Schedule
Gunnison County Landfill will follow the below listed holiday schedule.
- January 1st - New Year’s Day
- May 31st - Memorial Day
- July 5th - Independence Day (Observed)
- September 6th - Labor Day
- November 11th - Veteran’s Day
- November 25th - Thanksgiving Day
- December 23rd - Business day before Christmas
- December 26th - Business day after Christmas
Winter Hours of Operation (December 3rd to April 3rd)
|Monday - Friday||8:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M.|
|First Friday of each month has extended hours.||7:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M.|
Sage-Grouse Hours of Operation (March 15th to May 15th)
|Monday - Friday||9:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M.|
|Saturday||9:00 A.M. to 3:00 P.M.|
Landfill Hours of Operation (May 16th to December 6th) Gunnison County Landfill will be CLOSING EARLY on Tuesday, May 23, 2023. Hours of Operation for that day will be 8:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
|Monday - Friday||8:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M.|
|Saturday||8:00 A.M. to 3:00 P.M.|
The Gunnison County Landfill cannot accept any items that are in liquid form, this includes but not limited to:
Recycle Center Location
The Gunnison County Recycling Center is located at 195 Basin Park Drive just before the Public Works building.
Drop Off Hours
|Drop Off Times||Open 24/7|
|Attendants Available||Sunday - Saturday, 8:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M.|
Recycle Center Brochure
Recycle Center Brochure (10.2022) (PDF)
- Aluminum - Cans only
- Batteries - Alkaline batteries
- Drop-off at Gunnison Post Office
- Corrugated Cardboard
- No waxed cardboard is allowed
- Does not have to be bundled, tied, or collapsed if delivered to the Recycling Center
- No Styrofoam, packing peanuts, or paper
- Please review the Recycle Center Brochure for changes to acceptable cardboard
- Glass - Brown, green, and clear
- Remove lids and plastic or metal rings
- Magazines and Catalogues - May be recycled with newspaper
- Includes magazines and catalogues with glued and stapled backs
- This does not include phone books
- Does not have to be bundled or tied if delivered to the Recycle Center
- Newspaper - Including all supplements from the paper
- Does not have to be bundled or tied if delivered to the Recycling Center
- Office Paper
- Paper may be brought in bags, boxes, or containers that you empty and reuse
- May include all office papers except:
- Neon bright papers
- Manila envelopes
- Paper with excessive amounts of red ink
- Copied items that are mostly black
- Plastics - Number 1 and 2 plastics, rinsed
- Tin Cans - Remove paper labels and rinse cans
What Can I Recycle – Top 10 in the Bin
If you have any questions about what is acceptable, please call the Gunnison County Public Works Department at (970) 641-0044.
Setting up an Account
If you have questions regarding billing or setting up a charge account, please call 970-641-2203.
To set up a charge account, fill out the credit application (PDF) and mail or fax it to the Finance Office. Once received, the landfill gatekeepers will be notified and you will be ready to charge.
Completing the Application via Mail
If you would prefer to have a credit application mailed to you, please request a copy by contacting the Finance office.
Disclaimer regarding electronic versions of documents available from the Gunnison County, Colorado finance office.
When there is a question about the accuracy of language in a downloaded or other electronic copy of a document retrieved in any form from this site or otherwise distributed to the public, the official copy of the document is the document located in and administered by the Gunnison County, Colorado Finance office.
Viruses & Safety
Electronic versions of any documents offered on this website have been checked for viruses, and as of the date of the file, tested virus-free. Gunnison County provides the electronic versions of these documents without warranty or conditions of any kind concerning the quality, safety, or suitability of the related software, either express or implied.
In no event is Gunnison County liable for any indirect, punitive, special, incidental or consequential damages however they may arise out of or in connection with the use or performance of any files, downloads or other information, including, without limitation, those resulting from:
- Costs of replacement goods
- Delays or business interruptions
- Loss of use or data
- Reliance on the materials presented
- Theory of liability, arising out of or in connection with the use or performance of information
Know the Risks
There are inherent dangers in the use of any software and we caution the customer to make sure they completely understand the potential risks before downloading, modifying, using, and/or distributing any part or the whole of these documents. The purchaser or user of the electronic versions of these documents is solely responsible for adequate protection and backup of the data and equipment used in connection with any of the related software required to open and read the documents, and Gunnison County is not liable for any damages in connection with downloading, using, modifying, and/or distributing any part or the whole of these documents.