To contact Gunnison County Public Health, call (970) 641-0209.
The Colorado Health Emergency Line for Public Information (COHELP) is a public support service sponsored by the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment to keep you informed on current public health or bioterrorism issues. Call the COHELP line at (1-877-462-2911) to speak to an individual regarding questions or concerns.
The purpose of the Public Health Program is to provide child, family and community health services including family planning programs to the residents of Gunnison County so they can be healthy and safe.
The responsibilities of Public Health are identified as the essential services listed below:
- Monitor health status to identify and solve community health problems.
- Investigate and diagnose health problems and health hazards in the community.
- Inform, educate and empower individuals about health issues.
- Mobilize public and private collaboration and action to identify and solve health problems.
- Develop policies, plans, and programs that support individual and community health efforts.
- Enforce laws and regulations that protect health and promote safety.
- Link people to needed personal health services and assure the provision of health care including children with special needs.
- Encourage a competent public health workforce including emergency response activities.
- Evaluate effectiveness, accessibility and quality of personal and population-based health services.
- Provide vital records (birth and death recordings).
Public Health provides a broad range of services that are primarily funded through grants and private donations. Some services have specific qualifications such as income while other services do not have income criteria. Some services have a low fee while others do not. Due to the fluctuation in funding, it is advised to contact our office for the most current status of each offering at 970-641-0209.
- Birth and Death Certificates
- Family Planning and Reproductive Health
- Emergency Contraception
- Women's Wellness Connection
- Nurse Family Partnership
- Multicultural Services
- Tobacco Prevention
- Emergency Preparedness
- Nurturing Parenting Program
- Early Childhood Council
- Childcare Health Consultation
- Worksite Wellness
- Health Care Program for Children with Special Needs (HCP)
- Disease Surveillance and Investigations of Reportable Communicable Conditions
- TB screening and follow up
- Restaurant Inspections and consumer protection consultation
- Information and Referral to other community services
West Central Public Health Partnership
The mission of the West Central Public Health Partnership is to build and strengthen public health and environment infrastructure by identifying and implementing collaborative projects that benefit the counties of Delta, Gunnison, Hinsdale, Montrose, Ouray, and San Miguel.
We envision a public health partnership that protects the people and environment in our six county region, promotes health and prevents disease, resulting in optimal health for all our citizens as our region grows and becomes more diverse.
Visit West Central Public Health Partnership website to learn about current regional programs, projects, and recourses!