Motor Vehicle Office
The purpose of the Motor Vehicle Activity is to provide title, registration and license plate services to vehicle owners in Gunnison County so they can timely and accurately satisfy their requirements for licensing their vehicle(s).
All motor vehicles and trailers owned and operated by a Colorado resident must be registered. A named owner's secure and verifiable identification information is required to be presented for all new registration transactions.
Colorado residency is established when one of the following criteria is met:
- Obtain employment in Colorado
- Own or operate a business in Colorado
- Reside in Colorado continuously for 90 days
Registering your vehicle in Gunnison County? View your quick checklist of items required (PDF).
View updates and more information, please 'like' our Facebook page.
Colorado basedbusiness, with branch offices in other states, may NOT title and register the business vehicle in Colorado unless the vehicles are physically located in this state.
- A Letter of Authorization or a Corporate Resolution to Borrow / Grant Collateral Letter granting permission for the agent to act on behalf of the company is required to complete a new registration transaction.
- Motor vehicle registration must be completed within 90 days after becoming a resident of Colorado.
- Motor vehicle registrations must be completed within 60 days after
purchaseof the vehicle to avoid late fees of $25 / month.
- Vehicle must be physically located in Colorado to register
vehicle. A Colorado address is mandatory as the legal address. A Post Office box is not acceptable as a legal address, but may be used for the mailing address.
All applications for vehicle registrations must be made in the County Motor Vehicle Office in the county of residence. Criteria used to establish residency in the county is:
- Business address, used when registering a business vehicle that is in the business name and where the vehicle is primarily operated and maintained
- Primary place of residence, used when registering a personal vehicle, utilizes the same laws and regulations that apply to voter registration
- Proof of Insurance
- When the place of residence or business address does not apply, the address where the vehicle is primarily domiciled and maintained may be used