Worksite wellness is a business approach that values employees. By creating a work environment and culture that promotes safety, physical, emotional and mental health businesses can contribute to the overall wellbeing of their employees. Employers can benefit from higher employee productivity and retention, increased employee satisfaction, and lower healthcare costs.
Gunnison County Public Health can support employers to create worksite wellness programs, develop policies, and connect to them to resources.
What is worksite wellness?
An organized initiative intended to assist employees in making voluntary behavior changes which will. . .
- reduce their health and injury risks
- increase productivity and job satisfaction
- enhance overall physical and mental well-being
- create an environment where healthy choices are the default
Potential benefits of worksite wellness and health promotion plan
ü Lower healthcare and disability costs
ü Enhanced employee productivity
ü Reduced employee absenteeism
ü Decreased rate of illness and injuries
ü Enhanced corporate image
ü Improved employee morale
ü Improved employee recruitment and retention
ü Increased well-being, self-image, and self-esteem
ü Improved coping skills with stress or other factors affecting health
ü Improved health status
ü Lower out of pocket cots for healthcare services (e.g. reduced premiums, deductibles, co-payments)
ü Job improvement satisfaction
ü Safe and more supportive work environment
Simple Worksite Wellness Program Ideas
· Physical fitness/lifestyle counseling
· Walking clubs and walking meetings
· Subsidized fitness memberships
· Nutrition counseling/education
· Tobacco cessation benefits coverage
· Tobacco-Free campus policy
· Nursing Mother’s policy
· Stress management
· Wellness challenges at the worksite