Building permits are mandatory. Construction work regulated by adopted building codes and fire and public safety regulations requires a permit before work can begin. Discuss your plans with the Building Office staff before you begin construction to determine if a permit is required.
Some common construction projects requiring a permit from the Building Office include but are not limited to:
- Commercial floor plan alterations and changes of use
- Demolish, repair, alter, add to, or move an existing building or structure
- Electrical work (permit required from State of Colorado Electrical Board)
- Erect a new building or structure, agricultural buildings that are not part of an agricultural operation, additions, decks, swimming pools, manufactured / mobile homes, dwellings, garages, detached storage sheds (over 120 square feet), carports, pole barns, commercial buildings
- Fireplace / wood stove installations
- For any repairs which change or affect the structure of a building or structure. Examples include but are not limited to: converting a garage to a family room,insulating, and finishing a basement.
- Renovations (garage conversions, basement finishes, kitchen expansions, etc.)
Change of Occupancy/ Use of an Existing Structure
* Information and Procedure Packet
Window of Activity
Work must commence within 180 days of issuance of a permit and work can not be suspended or abandoned for a period of 180 days. The permit will expire if either occurs.
Gunnison County does not have jurisdiction within any city or town in Gunnison County. Contact the city or town directly.
City of Gunnison, Eric Jansen, Building Official , 970-641-8151
Town of Crested Butte, Astrid Matison, Building Inspector, 970-349-5338
Town of Mt. Crested Butte, Todd Carroll, 970-349-6632
Town of Marble, Robert Pettijohn, 970-963-0672
Town of Pitkin, James Sharpton, Building Inspector; 970-641-2807
Crested Butte Fire Protection District
If your property is located within the Crested Butte Fire Protection District, you will also need to contact the district office @ 970-349-5333.