Regulations & Guidelines

Gunnison County regulates development in unincorporated Gunnison County.  The Community Development staff is available to help you with your plans and questions.
                        -  or - 970-641-0360

We have complied a list of regulations and guidelines that may be helpful when developing in unincorporated Gunnison County. 

Gunnison County Land Use Regulations

Land Use Resolution ( LUR )-  regulations which are applicable to development in unincorporated Gunnison County

Building  Codes

Gunnison County has adopted the 2009 International Building Code with amendments-  Call our Building Department with your questions   970-641-0360 or

Fire Codes

Crested Butte Fire Protection District has adopted the 2003 International Fire Code with amendments -970-349-5333
Gunnison Fire Protection District may be contacted 970-641-8153

On-Site Wastewater Regulations

On-Site Wastewater Regulations ( OWTS )
-regulations regarding the installation and maintenance of septic systems

Well Permits

Gunnison County does not issue well permits.  Well permits are issued by the Colorado Division of Water Resources.
A licensed will driller should be contacted to obtain a permit to drill a well through the Colorado Division of Water Resources. 


- Denver office 303-866-3581 or Montrose office 970-249-6622

State of Colorado Website for information on well permits

; Colorado Division of Water Resources
Water Referee- 970-252-4304 
Water Commissioners:
Crested Butte-
Tommy Rozeman-970-209-2747
Tomichi Area-Jack Bryzinski-970-964-7947
Irwin Area-Steve Tuck-970-234-4922
Marble Area - Glenwood Springs Office

Gunnison Sage-grouse Regulations

Gunnison Sage-grouse Regulations- development in Gunnison Sage-grouse "occupied habitat"

Marijuana Cultivation, Manufacturing and Testing Facilities Regulations

Gunnison County requires a license, and a land Use approval, for the cultivation, manufacturing, and testing of marijuana, and marijuana products. 
Licensing Regulations
Land Use Regulations

Oil and Gas Development Regulations

The Gunnison County, Colorado Regulations for oil and gas operations were adopted by the Gunnison County Board of County Commissioners on August 28, 2012 via Resolution #2012-25. 
2012-25 and Attachment A
Attachment B Part 1 of 2
Attachment B Part 2 of 2

Geo-Thermal Development Regulations

November, 2014, Gunnison County adopted the  Geo-Thermal Regulations

Ranchland Process 

The Ranchland Process
 - for landowners who are considering subdividing their ranch into 35 acre lots.  It provides an alternative to the standard subdivision process, whereby County staff significantly assist the landowner in the subdivision design and shepherd it through a shortened approval process. 

This allows the landowner to sell lots at higher prices than "raw" land prices.  It also creates a subdivision design that incorporates the landowners knowledge of the land into a conservation minded design.  This is a flexible and low risk option worth checking out!
Full documentation,  contact the Ranchland Process coordinator: Mike Pelletier, GIS Manager, Gunnison County-(970)

Special Development Project Resolution

Special Development Project Resolution- for projects of significant impact, and those that involve matter of state interest
On September 1, 2009 the Board of County Commissioners approved  a resolution adopting the Special Development Projects.

Gunnison Public Works ( Road and Bridge)


 Gunnison County Public Works may be contacted at 970-641-0044.

Special Area Regulations

Land use regulations specific to these individual geographic areas
Crested Butte South Regulations- Governing land use in the Crested Butte South subdivision, approved as a Special Area by the Board of County Commission and administered by the subdivision's property owner's association. 

North Fork Valley Regulations-Governing the development of coal mining operations in the North Fork Valley of Gunnison County. 

Gunnison/ Crested Butte Industrial Special Area Regulations and Maps- Includes Signal Peak Industrial Park, and Riverland Industrial Park.

Gold Basin Industrial Park Regulations- Governs lots in Gold Basin Industrial Park 


Permit Application Forms

Permit Application forms can be found on our website

Permit Data Base

You may view the Gunnison County issued Land Use, Building and On-Site Wastewater Permits using the Permit Data Base

Other Plans and Guidelines

Crested Butte- Gunnison Corridor Comp 2005 Plan

Upper Crystal River Master Plan
Upper Crystal River Community Wildfire Protection Plan
Gunnison County Trails Master Plan
Colorado Forest Service guidelines for protecting your home against wildfire                                             

Municipalities with their own regulations in Gunnison County

The City of GunnisonTown of Crested Butte, Town of Mt. Crested Butte, Town of Pitkin, and Town Marble all have their own regulations and administer their own regulations.