Retail Food Licensing

Opening a Retail Food Establishment

There are a few steps that need to take place before opening (or building) a retail food establishment. The first thing is the plan review process, turn these 4 things in to start the process.

  1. Plan review (brick and mortar click here) (mobile unit click here)
  2. Proof of citizenship affidavit
  3. Retail establishment application
  4. Application fee of $100 made out to Gunnison County HHS

Once these have been reviewed you will get an approval/denial letter, with the denial letter it will list the items that need to be changed in order for the application to be approved. Once approved an annual retail food license needs to be filled out and your retail food license will be issued. The license goes from January 1st through December 31st and cannot be prorated. Also review the Retail Food Regulations document.

Some additional resources or contacts you might need: 

Sales Tax

Other Licensing (dependent on establishment type)

Hood Inspectors

  • Crested Butte Fire District
  • City of Gunnison Fire

If you are remodeling, expanding or extensively changing your restaurant or menu we will need to be contacted, and potentially a plan review will need to be done. 

If there are any questions feel free to contact: 

Jenn Chavez
Consumer Protection Specialist
Health & Human Services
275 S. Spruce St.
Gunnison, CO 81230